A freshly baked cake smothered in frosting makes an irresistible homemade dessert.Whether you need a sweet birthday cake for someone special or an over-the-top holiday cake, here’s a great recipe that’s tender, moist, and perfect every time.
When i saw this cake i new i had to make it, cranberry and orange flavor’s are my all time favorite. This is a dense cake with a powerful citrus flavour of orange zest and juice. Dried cranberries are stirred through the cake to give it sweet bursts of tangy berry flavor scattered throughout.
I am going to make this cranberry orange cake at the weekend, so ill let you know how it goes. If you do not like the taste of cranberries then you could just replace them with chocolate chips for a naughty spin 🙂 .
Cranberry Orange Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of one orange – about 1 tablespoon
- juice of an orange
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water, milk or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cranberries on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until sugar turn a lemon color, about 4 – 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and mix in until incorporated.
- Add the orange juice and zest. Add the sour cream.
- When incorporated add the flour, salt and baking powder. When this is all mixed together stir in the remaining 1 1/4 cups cranberries.
- Bake for 50 – 55 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Let pan set for 5 minutes after you take the cake out of the oven. Turn over cake unto a wire rack to cool. Mix up your glaze ingredients and spread on top and sides of cake.